You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 07:40 AM   #1

Default Larry 7 on XP ??

I am trying to install larry 7 on windows xp, but the game won't start. Actually I couldn't even install it, when I click on the install button nothing happens. Does anyone know how to make that game work on windows XP?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum.

Are you trying to install the DOS version (install.exe) or the Windows version (setup.exe)? Are you using the utility that searches the computer for Sierra games? (The fact that you're clicking an install button makes me think yes.) If so, have you tried installing by running setup.exe or install.exe instead?

When you say "nothing happens," are you hearing any music? Do you get an error message? Does the screen flash as if a window is opening?

Also, if you could give your system specs, that would be helpful.

-emily
Old 12-14-2004, 10:55 AM   #3

Thanks for answering. Alright, here is exactly what happens:

When I put the CD in the computer, it starts running and a message pops up saying that Larry 7 is not installed and asking me if i whish to install it. When I click yes nothing happens though, the message just goes away after a few seconds.

I tried to open the CD and look for a setup inside. There is a file called autoplay that does exactly what happens as I just described it, it gives me that message and nothing happens when i click ok.
There is a file called setup that has the shape of a mountain. When I open it, it runs a program called Sierra On-Line Setup, but doesn't display anything. There is just a window at the bottom of the screen, where all the minimized windows are, that says Sierra-On-Line setup. But I can't even open that window, when i click on it it doesn't pop up as it should.

Then there are two files called SIERW and SIERW5. When I click on those, the game seems to start running, a screen appears with two statues of naked women, i guess it's the beginning of the game. But then a message pops up saying error opening resource 10000.snd, and the game freezes.

Note that I havn't installed anything yet, so i guess that's probably why the game freezes.

My system is windows XP family edition. Note it is the french version for windows XP. My computer is pretty recent, P4 1.7 Ghz, so i should be ok i guess.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Doctor Watson

Larry 7 is an old game so it would be better if your PC was old, too.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #5

Try this if you are having problems installing LSL7 in Windows XP.

Before running the Setup program (or allowing it to run if you have AutoPlay turned on), go to "Control Panels > Display > Appearance" tab. Under "Windows and Buttons", choose "Windows Classic Style". Then install the game by using Windows Explorer to show the CD. Run "Setup.exe" from the CD. After the game is installed, retrun to "Control Panels > Display > Appearance > Windows and Buttons" and change it back to your original settings.

There's also an installer that was created by someone which I used to install LSL7. I'm at work right now but I might have the installer on my PC at home. I will see if I can dig it out when I'm back home.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Okay, sounds like you are having the same problem I have with GK2. There is some kind of conflict between certain XP computers, and certain versions of Sierra's installer. When I double-clicked the setup file (the one that looks like a mountain), I heard the Sierra theme music play, but only got a minimized window that I couldn't open - sounds like what's happening to you.

The conflict is (apparently) caused by a file called setup.sol, which is the file that makes the Sierra animation play while the fanfare sounds. Here are two workarounds:

1) If you've installed other Sierra games, you may have a program on your computer called Sierra Setup & Uninstall. Check the Sierra folder in your Start menu. If you have it, launch this program and install LSL7 this way. (If you don't have it on your computer, you might check any other Sierra games on your shelf from the early to mid 90s... I think this program showed up on my machine along with KQ7.) If you don't have this program, you can download the files you need here - unzip them into a folder and run the setup.exe file.

2) If you can't use the Setup / Uninstall program as described above, copy ALL the files from your LSL7 CD onto your hard drive. Replace the setup.sol file with a setup.sol file from a different Sierra game (I used one from GK1). Then install from this folder, rather than from the CD. Once you've installed the game, you can delete the contents of the CD from your hard drive. If you can't find an older version of setup.sol, you can download one here. (For some reason I'm having trouble downloading it, but it is up on my server - if you can't download it I will email it to you.)

Let me know if either of these works for you. If neither works, you can also try installing the DOS version (assuming your CD has one) by double-clicking install.exe.

-emily

Last edited by fov; 12-14-2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:02 PM   #7

In my opinion, the best way to run all these old DOS games is to install either MS Virtual PC 2004 or VMWare and create a virtual DOS machine. Unfortunately, they are both commercial products, so it's not easy to get them

There are also DOSBox and VDMSound, which are free tools and they usually work (but not always...)
Old 12-14-2004, 02:04 PM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

That's assuming the CD has a DOS version... the one he's trying to install is a Windows version.

I have had good experiences with VDMSound on the DOS versions of some of Sierra's games (including GK2 when I initially couldn't get it installed because of this installer conflict) but the graphics quality is not always as good as in the Windows versions.

-emily
Old 12-14-2004, 03:17 PM   #9

Default to fov

It works! Hey thanks a lot, I am really impressed by how quick and effective your answer was.

You guys do a great job on adventure gamers.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:35 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Good! Enjoy the game!

emily
Old 12-15-2004, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
That's assuming the CD has a DOS version... the one he's trying to install is a Windows version
I am aware of this, but you can create Win9x virtual machines too... This way works always better than the compatibility mode offered by XP itself (which is, of course, a solution with certain games, but not for all)