You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General experimental physics

experimental physics experimental physics
Old 03-27-2004, 10:18 AM   #1

Default experimental physics

For some more GDC2004-ness:

http://www.gamasutra.com/gdc2004/fea...-kane_01.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamasutra
The Indie Game Jam

The third annual Indie Game Jam, introduced by game designer Chris Hecker, kicked the workshop off on a high note. Each year at the Jam, developers make as many innovative games as possible during a four day period using a custom game engine made specifically for the event. The engine is always built around a single technology focus, and this year's focus was gameplay physics. The Game Jam challenge: to create 2D games in which physics drives gameplay.

Here is some of what the team of pro and indie game developers came up with.

* Wasps. This game takes place inside a skull-shaped arena, and features two wasps trying to scoop up a sea of small objects that behave like a fluid. The goal is to deposit as many of them as possible into the "eyes" of the skull.

* Spaceships. In this side-scrolling shooter, a player's spaceship ejects "mass" to move forward, while struggling against the backward pull of an enormous black hole. Enemies and obstacles respond physically to a variety of weapons -- meaning that a well-placed ammo burst can push a pesky asteroid right of the way.

* Boot Looter. This game seems at first like a platform jumper, akin to Lode Runner -- but these platforms and ladders shift and move under the weight of the character. The goal is to reach the top of the screen before the entire level collapses beneath you.

* Spider. A two-player game in which players control spiders moving around a web. The web itself is subject to physical change: players can cut the web, spin new webs, and alter the shape of the web via their spider's motion.

* Checker's Hopper. The player controls a miniature pogo stick, capable of bouncing up and down while leaning from side to side, to create angled trajectories. Any block with which the hopper comes into contact is given torque and momentum, meaing the entire environment is an interactive physics simulation.

* Stunt Hamsters. In this game, the player controls a hamster cannon, and must use the explosive properties of the hamsters to achieve a goal. In the demo, a player fired several dozen squeaking hamsters into a depression next to a rock, then shot another hamster through a ring of fire so as to ignite the hamsters and blast the rock out of the way of the goal.

* Pig Plow. A physics-based pig plowing game. In addition to manipulating a plow to scoop pigs into a net, a player can change the abilities of his or her plow by collecting physics-based power-ups.

* Spirograph. An art toy more than a game, in which a player manipulates a boomerang to create aesthetically pleasing on-screen designs.

* Yoga. The goal here is to keep a paper cut-out of Yoga master BKS Iyengar balanced in his various yoga poses.

* Dancing Shrimp. In this game, the environment responds to the game's music, and the player movies a dynamically-controlled shrimp within that environment. There's no object per se, but it's interesting to see what happens when the beat stops and gravity becomes zero.

* Orange Planter. Possibly the most aesthetically interesting of this year's Jam games, this game features tiny characters who live in a physically simulated tree. The object is to use the characters' motion to sway the tree from side to side, and then when the tree is close enough to the ground, to pick up oranges and feed them into the receptors at the top of the tree. A successfully planted orange yields a beautiful burst of color and sound.
I think this shows some pretty interesting ways in which physics can be used to drive gameplay.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #2

Indie Game Jam rules!

I see that this one features games that are seemingly more polished than any of previous years' games. IGJ has known to feature games that are visually simplistic, yet have very innovative game design thingies.

As an example, try this little gem out.

http://www.indiegamejam.com/igj0/games.html#fugitive

There is something to be said about the visual spectacle of seeing thousands of people (albeit billboarded sprites ) onscreen at one instant.

I'll have to try some of these babies out once I find some free time. *sigh*
I think they're going a little overboard with the physics though. A little diversity would've been nice. I quickly grew tired of Stair Dismount.

Old 03-28-2004, 02:30 AM   #3

They're up for download???

I'd read about last years but I had no idea they were there for you to download... and this year's as well?
Old 03-28-2004, 03:01 AM   #4

Oh, I see I actually missed a year... 'last year's' was two years ago.

http://www.indiegamejam.com/igj1/index.html
http://www.indiegamejam.com/igj1/video/2.mpg

Quote:
Owl Simulator
Casey Muratori, Michael Sweet

A tour de force of owl cool. This is a 3D flight-sim, where your arms serve as wings. You have continuous control of left, right, climb and dive by raising and lowering your arms. The goal is to perform stunts to impress the female owl. Includes field mice, a slalom, fish-pond, cloud hoops, etc.
How cool is that?!
Old 03-28-2004, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
How cool is that?!
Yeah...especially the 'impressing the females' part.

Actually, all the games are supposed to be available for download...but due to some some snafu...they're not. I'm pretty sure that this year's games will soon be up for grabs.

The greatest thing about IGJ is that each one is restricted to a specific technology. All the entrants have to work with this technology to come up with innovative gameplay elements within a highly restrictive time frame.

The first one used the Doom WADs. And the guys came up with such varied games like sonar-like equipped shooter, a helicopter sim plus strategy game, a sadistic bowling game among others.

I didn't pay much attention to the second IGJ because they used a technology that could only be used on-site. The Shadow Garden.

But I would really like to see what the guys come up with in the field of physics. Hell, I'd like to see them work with that brain headset thingie next year. Now that will be something to watch out for.