You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What is an adventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 10:41 PM   #141
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
My definition -
An adv game is the gradual unfolding of a story by a player by exploration and problem solving techniques, without resorting to violent means.
FGM you're beginning to offend my delicate sensibilities with these definitions . One might go so far as to call them "closed minded" or "exceeding exclusionary."
Old 03-30-2005, 10:42 PM   #142
merely human

Kick > Trep and Walter

I don't know the word 'Kick'.

You are in a gaming forum. There are many members here, and the topic is 'What is an adventure game?'

>
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2005, 10:42 PM   #143
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Kick > Trep and Walter
I guess Jake doesn't kick Fairygodmothers!

FGM
Old 03-30-2005, 10:43 PM   #144
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
I guess Jake doesn't kick Fairygodmothers!

FGM
I kick you with complete sentences only.*

* See post 141!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:47 PM   #145
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
FGM you're beginning to offend my delicate sensibilities with these definitions . One might go so far as to call them "closed minded" or "exceeding exclusionary."
I'm assuming you mean my end phrase - "without resorting to violence". If you allow violence, you blur the boundaries once more. Note that I didn't use the vague word "action". In my eyes, if you allow violence, you have crossed into action-adventure.

FGM
Old 03-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #146
merely human

Quote:
My definition -
An adv game is the gradual unfolding of a story by a player by exploration and problem solving techniques, without resorting to violent means..
Okay, I'm gonna be here, and ask: What about platformers? There are plenty of them that have a solid story, problem solving, and no violence. Are they adventure games? And there are RPGs where it's quite possible to talk/sneak your way out of situations - no violence involved and story heavy. And, iirc, Thief encourages non-violence, exploration, and problem solving.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-30-2005, 10:51 PM   #147
The Dartmaster

In my eyes that's closed minded That's all I'm sayin

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 03-30-2005, 10:52 PM   #148
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Okay, I'm gonna be here, and ask: What about platformers? There are plenty of them that have a solid story, problem solving, and no violence. Are they adventure games? And there are RPGs where it's quite possible to talk/sneak your way out of situations - no violence involved and story heavy. And, iirc, Thief encourages non-violence, exploration, and problem solving.
Those require manual dexterity and timing, which I'm sure don't fit into an upcoming revised and extended definition ¬ ¬

I'm sorry FGM, but your definitions just aren't reasonable or realistic. Instead of defining what adventure games are, what they have been, and what they could be, you are instead just making up a sentence describing the adventure games you like to play.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #149
merely human

Yeah, but FGM didn't use the word 'action'.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:56 PM   #150
Elegantly copy+pasted

Someone mentioned that a strong story at the core is the one thing adventure games have in common. I'm not sure I would agree with that. I think a lot of adventure games have a story that's a mere afterthought. Without going back to the whole issue of how people play vs. how something was intended, I don't think I ever actually understood the story in Myst. That whole thing about the brothers both being evil and having killed everyone in all the ages, or something? Went straight over my head. Until you get quite far in the game, Myst doesn't appear to have any story.

OK, so maybe it's a puzzle game...

What about the real classics? What about King's Quest 1? (Very loosely defined story, the game is mostly about exploration.) What about Zork? (Haven't played it, merely guessing.) What about ADVENTURE? (Arguably not an adventure game.) Isn't it in fact fair to say that exploration came first, then puzzles, and only then story?

Quote:
I think all of what you say is true, and I think I got a bit closer to what I mean in approximately post 47. But I think you're right regardless about the bad games w/bolted on puzzles. I think, though, that there's something to be said in the fact that these developers - even if they make a bad game with bolted on puzzles - were probably in some way striving to make a game that meets my definition, which is not the case for a good or a bad FPS for instance.
I agree that they're striving to make an adventure game. I'm not so sure that they're striving to meet your definition. You have to wonder if some developers were even trying to integrate their puzzles with the story.

Quote:
I think you could make an adventure game (that was not an "interactive movie") that didn't contain either puzzles or exploration. It would probably have one or the other to some degree because they're generally important facets of storytelling in some way or another, but I think you're needlessly narrowing your definition by including them as necessary primary elements of what an adventure game is.

I'm not saying that adventure games shouldn't have puzzles by the way - I just think that forcing their inclusion by name into a definition is a bit odd. I don't mind that they're there (especially the good ones - those ones I even like that they're there!), but I really don't play adventure games for the puzzles. In fact, if someone made an adventure game that still let me experience an interactive and engaging story but didn't have me waving inventory items around at things or pushing a crate or negotiating a preplanned dialogue tree, I would be extremely pleased, and I would still definitely consider it an adventure game. I don't know what that game is, but I'm not going to discount its theoretical existence by needlessly excluding it from my definition of the genre.
I, on the other hand, would probably not consider it an adventure game. Solving puzzles is part of what makes me feel like I'm playing an adventure.

I think the kind of game you talk about exists, kind of, in what is euphemistically called "dating sims" out of Japan. These play kind of like first-person adventure games without the puzzles. They do have exploration, I guess. (I'm not sure you could even do an interactive story without exploration.) And no, I don't consider these to be adventure games. A closely related genre, perhaps, but not really adventures.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:59 PM   #151
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
I think the kind of game you talk about exists, kind of, in what is euphemistically called "dating sims" out of Japan. These play kind of like first-person adventure games without the puzzles. They do have exploration, I guess. (I'm not sure you could even do an interactive story without exploration.) And no, I don't consider these to be adventure games. A closely related genre, perhaps, but not really adventures.
Good god no that's not what I'm talking about at all. I actually just got the strange but very strong urge to punch you in the gut, to be honest! That's really weird... anyway.

ARHJGHDS
Old 03-30-2005, 11:00 PM   #152
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
My definition -
An adv game is the gradual unfolding of a story by a player by exploration and problem solving techniques, without resorting to violent means.
adds the caveat that violent means should not be necessary or even desired. It also adds to the initial premise that story is the defining element.

FGM
Have you read about Dreamfall at all? The first scene Zoe starts a fight and throws punches. Later on there is a male protagonist and he uses more violence than Zoe because he is a fighter. So is Dreamfall not an adventure then? Where was it set in stone that you shouldn't use violent means to achieve your goals in an adventure game. In lots of scenarios, violence is necessary to give the story more authenticity. And I'm not talking about violence like Devil May Cry or DOOM 3 where you shoot everything in site. No I'm talking about being in a scenario where the most plausible and realistic action to take is violence. For example, a police cop game is much more realistic if you get to shoot sometimes, because can you imagine the life of a police officer without shooting a single bullet. It all depends on the context of the games. That's why I like Trep's definition. It does not limit a designer in what can be induced in an adventure game, but it still captures the essence.

Firefox rules
Old 03-30-2005, 11:00 PM   #153
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

HELPFUL HINT TO JAKE'S SANITY: give up now

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-30-2005, 11:02 PM   #154
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
No, it has a kick command, which I'm sure if you were being less pedantic you would admit is actually a different thing. You can't just walk around kicking stuff. Like Jake said, you have to specifically execute a Kick>Door command; it's no different than the Push of older SCUMM games.
My approach might be pedantic, but my point is still valid. If it wasn't, other people wouldn't be calling her on it as well.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:03 PM   #155
Least used avatar ever

Graded membership! Non-dominance of other gameplay styles!

Submit! SUBMIT!!!!
Old 03-30-2005, 11:04 PM   #156
The Dartmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
HELPFUL HINT TO JAKE'S SANITY: give up now
Advice: taken.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:04 PM   #157
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX111
My approach might be pedantic, but my point is still valid. If it wasn't, other people wouldn't be calling her on it as well.
Then just say what you mean instead of trying to ensnare her with a shaky and by your own admittance pedantic word game.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 03-30-2005, 11:05 PM   #158
The Dartmaster

Quote:
I suggest you take your own advice too.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:06 PM   #159
merely human

Quote:
I don't trust you. I think you're secretly working on another stink bomb.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:07 PM   #160
Magic Wand Waver

Quote:
In my eyes that's closed minded That's all I'm sayin
Jake, you began this long thread with using the story as THE defining element of an adv game. I found that too vague, and so did many others. I keep hearing our banned colleague saying the the original adv games didn't even HAVE stories - they were essentially puzzle games. Yes, they have evolved, but puzzles/challenges remain at the core. By not including that in your definition, you are ignoring more than 1000 adv games to date that were created on that premise. Perhaps you feel the exclusion of violence makes me closed-minded. Again, it evolved into a genre that entertained without the need to kill to acheive your goals. This isn't my choice of what I would like to play, but rather what I've garnered from many others, including many who are much more experienced than I am.

If I wanted to define it the way I like to play, there would be no timed sequences, no sound puzzles, no way of dying. But I didn't do that - I tried to be not so limiting in my definition.

FGM