View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 06:49 AM   #71
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I didn't say it was all about innovation. You're the one that keeps talking about that.
I'm only talking about it because you keep bringing up (in terms of things like "pushing the boundries").
Quote:
And even if I did put that above everything else, that would still be a better measure of genius than that of all the people here who seem to think that a genius is just anybody who's really smart. Guess what? There are a lot of really talented people out there. But they're not all geniuses. That's my point. You can't just say that anything you happen to like is genius.
For the last time, I'm not calling anyone a genius or not a genius. The post you were replying to was me taking issue with your judgment of games by Kojima, Miyamoto, and Wright.

Quote:
And I never accused Miyamoto and Wright of trying to mimic other media.
And if you read my post, I never said you accused them of that. You said their games do not take advantage of games as a medium, that they "are really the most basic thing you can do with the technology". This is clearly absurd. You still have not actually qualified what makes Hojima's games such excellent paragons of game design and innovation. Is it the complex storytelling? Because that's far, far less unique to games than anything in a Wright or Miyamoto games. Is it really really good stealth gameplay? Because that's just good game design, not anything that specifically exploits the medium. What is it? I'm trying to get at why you think Hojima is such a greater manipulator of the medium than those other two designers.

Quote:
I said that other game designers try to mimic other media. What I said about Miyamoto and Wright is that they make toys. Their games are basically tech demos.
I'd like to know what you consider a good game, in very general terms. Do you consider games a primarily narrative form? That's the only reason I can think of that you'd consider something like SimCity a "tech demo" (a description I find pretty absurd). Or, I don't know, maybe you mean a good game should have a blend of gameplay or something? You're being incredibly vague.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't consider that to be "genius." It's just a matter of knowing what's possible at a purely technical level.

mag
No need to apologize; I never said I considered it genius either. Although if I were going to go around calling thing genius (which I haven't so far), I'd be far less likely to ascribe the term to anything Kojima's done. His work is more what I'd call "solid" (no pun intended). What makes Mario and SimCity purely technical excercises? I almost feel like you haven't even played those games, or haven't played them correctly, or something. What are they lacking? I've already asked this question a few times in this post, because I'm hoping eventually you'll answer it.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright