View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 02:35 AM   #68
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

I transcribed 'That Question' asked of him from that show:

Quote:
...do you think the increasing graphics advancements of other genres like FPSs have contributed to the smaller selection of quality adventure games?

Tim Schafer: People have asked what happened to adventure games. I just don't think the strict definition of genre is that important to what you're doing because, is it that you love adventure games because of that definition or because do you just love a good game you played once? And even if you loved it would you want to play that same game again? No. So you want to play the evolution of that game and maybe some of those ideas just turned upside down and changed and played.

So I don't think it's interesting to talk about specific genres and whether they lived and died, because it wasn't that I wanted to make a certain genre of games, I just wanna make a great game and make games that were immersive. And adventure games are a great way to do that because they're about creating a world that the player could fall into. If they're done well, you know, and they have real characters and stories that you can just get lost in them and kind of feel like you wanna go home and play it again just to be in that world again and hear the music and be in that place.

Adventure games are great for that, but you can do that with any kind of game. And it has more to do with what kind of experience you wanna create, and that might lend itself to a certain kind of genre. And I think you can do any kind of genre or game, you can do it well or you can do it badly.

And so to say that I like this genre or that genre is not as important as 'I like that genre, is it done well? I like a good game'.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien