View Single Post
Old 04-08-2005, 05:46 AM   #28
pinkgothic
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Isn't it meaningless?
Sure it is. As it would be meaningless not to post here. No fate, instead, full control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
Nihilism sounds boring to me.
I dunno, believing in meaning/fate seems boring to me, personally, aswell as horribly frightening/restrictive. Rather than being pressed to do something with a meaning, or worse yet, being pressed to do so by fate, there's total choice, boiled down to the decision and the consequences.

We're creatures of total subjectivity. To assume that just because we like something or credit some emotion to something gives it meaning is quite arrogant. Just because I love BoyToy does not give BoyToy, or BoyToy's part in my life, any meaning.

It doesn't need a meaning for me to like it, though.

Of course there's the standard depresso-nihilist. "Nothing has a meaning, life has no meaning, so I'm killing myself now". Bullshit. How about this version? "Nothing has a meaning, death has no meaning, I'll stay alive"?

Nihilism is a belief that can't help anyone make decisions if it's in its pure form, because it takes away all objective qualities many people assume in objects/events. There is no "better" except in subjective viewpoint, if that. So frankly put, a nihilist who takes the standpoint "it's meaningless for me to do XYZ, so I won't do it" is not a nihilist at all. To take such a causal standpoint, you imply there is something better - you imply there's something with more objective worth than what you are currently doing.

So, as you said, yes, of course it's meaningless. My essay now is meaningless. Does that mean I shouldn't have written it? No. Does it mean I was right writing it? No.

Maybe my point's been made a bit clearer now.

And yes, as Trep put it so eloquently (square brackets denote my changes): "It's utter bullshit to me and I'd rather be happy and have [subjective] meaning in everything I do and everything I am." Sums it up quite nicely.

Quick edit: I don't claim to make the definition of nihilism. In fact, nihilism itself may differ some from my version of it as outlined above. I will take no responsibility if you microwave your dog over this essay.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™