View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 04:13 AM   #32
Martin Gantefoehr

Quote:
For me personally, I see many elements of the adventure game integrated into the [non-adventure] games I choose to play today, and lots of times those games are doing it far, far better than most adventure games today. How do you explain a game like Dreamfall? Fahrenheit? How have they secured backing and are able make it to the consoles, a potentially wider audience?
Funcom is funding the development of Dreamfall with their own money, plus money from a national film fund. Both isn't an option for most other developers, and, as far as film funding is concerned, it isn't in most other countries.
(That's why alternate funding sources is exactly what many indie developers are looking for right now). Also, Dreamfall is actually a sequel.

Fahrenheit has been in development for five years, I think, with several publisher-imposed changes of the concept, going console actually being one of them. Still, the project was dropped by its publisher, and it has to recoup a lot of money now.

Don't get me wrong - I think both of these are very intersting and promising projects and I wish them billions of sales. But it's exactly projects like these that won't be easily possible with the next generation of technolgy and budgets, and that's my point.