View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #41
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

There are currently too few atm. The only one I'm really looking so far is Test Drive Unlimited:

Quote:
See, Test Drive Unlimited takes place on an island, but it's not just any old island. Set on the Hawaiian paradise that is Oahu, the developers used GPS technology to realistically map everything from the towering volcanoes to the sandy beaches. They also mapped over 1000 miles of highways, boulevards, and streets for you to explore at your leisure. One of the coolest moments came when the demoer began with an up-close view of our in-game house, then slowly zoomed out until the whole island (all 596 square miles of it) was visible. Of course, this was especially impressive since it utilized the actual game engine.

The ability to get a birds-eye view comes in handy when constructing the path for the races you create. There are several different levels of access in the race editor, with the most basic one offering very few parameters that can be changed, and the professional editor allowing you to change virtually any aspect of the race. In just a few minutes, you can set up a race by dragging and dropping starting and finishing points, as well as any checkpoint. It can be as big or as small as you want, and the developers proved this by quickly constructing a 300 mile trek that would take hours to complete.
I'd love to even just go Live (free on weekends) and spectate, watch other racers compete on the island, and every now and then race with them myself.

There's also Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I've been keeping track of its progress and it sounds like Bethesda are really pulling out the stops for this one. Hopefully they'll implement a 3rd person view.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien