Thread: GK2 on XP
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2003, 01:10 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Dusty - I had that very problem on XP. I have yet to find anyone else who had it so I was never able to share what I figured out! I'm so excited!

The problem is that my XP apparently doesn't like a version of one file that's used for the install program. The file is setup.sol. It's (apparently) the file that makes the Sierra logo display while the fanfare plays. I've found two ways around the problem:

1) If you've installed other Sierra games, you may have a program on your computer called Sierra Setup & Uninstall. Check the Sierra folder in your Start menu. If you have it, launch this program and install GK2 this way. (If you don't have it on your computer, you might check any other Sierra games on your shelf from the early to mid 90s... I think this program showed up on my machine along with KQ7.) I could try to email you a copy of this program but I'm not positive it'll work.

2) If you can't use the Setup / Uninstall program as described above, copy ALL the files from your GK2 CD#1 onto your hard drive. Replace the setup.sol file with a setup.sol file from a different Sierra game (I used one from GK1). Then install from this folder, rather than from the CD. Once you've installed the game, you can delete the contents of CD#1 from your hard drive. If you can't find an older version of setup.sol, I can email this to you as well.

Let me know if either of these solutions work for you.

-emily

EDIT: This same problem happens on some other Sierra games, such as LSL7, too. Following the steps above should fix it. If anyone needs the files mentioned in these workarounds, PM me with your email address and I'll send them.

Last edited by fov; 06-18-2005 at 12:58 PM.