View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 10:01 AM   #57
Wajus
(Va-yoosh)

I found MI2 a tad more entertaining game and more gripping story. Just a tad more.

A for CoMI everything about this game is IMHO inappropriate. It looks georgeus indeed but it's just too sweet and naive. And what happened to Guybrush? His voice is just what i expected but his looks gives me the creeps. He's pale, tall like a tree and his nose...

The story is the worst thing. Instead of doing piraty stuff he wanted to do, intead of adventuring and treasure hunting he is on some kind of quest. Let's face it, guybrush have become a knight in shiny armor, he is no more a vagabond, now he is on a quest to remove a curse from his charmed princess. It sounds like a perfect theme for a fairy tale but to tell a fairy tale in a caribbean scenery, even if it's a satire, is pure nonsense. The famous "i want to be a pirate/ I'm a mighty pirate!" is no more valid here, there's no place for dreams and imagination, no place for self-realisation.

MI4 is at least (though not whole game shows such intricacy in that matter) puzzle-clever with the "time paradox" or "two parrots" scene. EfMI also presents Guybrush as a gofer of some kind but at least in this part he tries to protect the honor of piracy - he protects what he always wanted to be and what he believed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
The problem with the second theory is that its boring, and sort of completely incorrect. The first two games drop hint after subtle hint pointing towards the first theory remixor posted...
The problem with the second theory on the other hand is that it's completely anti-climatic*. I think there are pros and cons to both theories. The problem with both is that each one tries to prove that only one world can be the "real" one.
Spoiler:
So it's either about pirate being put curse on or boy dreaming of pirates.

Now let me ask you something. Have you ever read (or at least watched) "Neverending Story" by Michael Ende and "Peter Pan" by J.M. Barrie? I'd vote for the theory similar to the idea of the worlds presented in those stories. MI is very similar to those books in so many ways. Just like the books it's a game about chasing your own dreams.

"I want to be a pirate!"

Both worlds in MI are perceptible even though their origins are different. The only problem is finding out where does the protagonist in MI really belong to.

edit: * "cold"

Last edited by Wajus; 02-17-2004 at 10:15 AM.