Thread: Mass Effect
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #380
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Mass Effect: The Write Stuff - AU Interview | IGN.com, 11 May '07

Why BioWare cares deeply about fusing great gameplay with great storytelling.

Quote:
I think most BioWare fans appreciate and understand our contribution; we firmly believe a good game becomes a great game by fusing story with game play for an emotionally engaging experience.

However, across the industry most companies don't put enough emphasis on telling a good story. BioWare is one of the few companies that has full time employees dedicated entirely to writing.

Quote:
There are some other good game stories out there, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. I think that, overall, games haven't embraced the idea that a good story is necessary to fully engage players in the gaming experience, so there are many examples of sub-standard writing and story that have colored the general perception of game writers as "hacks".

The truth, however, is that writing for games is a very complicated and difficult skill… one that BioWare takes the time to develop in talented individuals.
Many adventure game devs seriously need to read this. Drew Karpyshyn comes from an English major background and he is NOT a freelance writer, he works full time for Bioware so he's 100% dedicated. I wish I could do that, be a full time writer with a huge amount of creative control within the company.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien