View Single Post
Old 05-22-2004, 09:37 AM   #45
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
Reason indeed is universal. By reason I don't mean any specific flavour, but if I did it would be Aristotelian empiricism, which is not particularly structured. It allows you to see as erroneous assertions that garlic chases away evil spirits because you have never felt or seen or heard anything resembling an evil spirit, all the evidence for evil spirits people have around you you see as circumstantial and have no way of knowing if garlic works for sure.
How can you prove that reason is any better for gaining information than religion? They both require a rather substantial leap of faith. Belief in evil spirits requires that you accept the axiom that such things as spirits exist. Belief in the conclusions obtained by rational thought requires that you accept the axiom that the outside world can be measured and observed. You can't prove either one, so neither system is really better than the other. It's just a matter of which axiom you're starting from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki
Anarchy is not anti civilisation. In fact, after studying anarchy more closely during a philosohpy course, I'm surprised how false the general publics concept on anarchy actually is.
Anarchy does kind of get a bad rap. But it is true that a society in anarchy really couldn't be civilized. Without a government to keep everybody in check, the hierarchical nature of a civilization would fall apart pretty quickly.

mag