View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #21
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Come on, this game had some qualities, such as:

Puzzles. My favourite example: Use the cannonballs (not cannons, just cannonballs) to desacrate tombstone, therefore gaining... rocks, a material unattainable in the world of Jazz and Faust by any other means. If you think that's too hard, you're wrong: you'll usually have one or two objects to try out in only a couple of locations, so you should move forward smoothly - if you don't expect too much logic in life.
Story. Fearing that less bright players may feel lost trying to follow a plotline too complex, the authors made a brave design decision. Their script initially promises some sense, but you quickly realise that it consists of plotholes. This way, we don't have to care about ups and downs of characters (who were completely uninteresting anyway) and concentrate on puzzles (see above). Also, you cannot fail to love the humor of the game: on one occasion, Jazz transforms into a guy thrice as fat only by putting his clothes on!
Length. OK, we have already got used to 1-2 evening long adventure games of today. But this is the only one for which, after playing 4 hours or so, I could honestly exclaim: "Finally! The horror is over. No more Jazz and Faust in my life!". So how could that be a drawback?
Two games in one. Fine, I must quit the (not really camouflaged, I agree) sarcastic mode here: what were the developers thinking? I mean, they didn't have enough substance for one decent game! Finally, rather than leaving the result as two disjointed paths, they added that simply atrocious sequence
Spoiler:
where evil ghost guarding the treasure does what to our heroes? Kills them? Curses them? No, he ingenuously turns back time! And, guess what, the heroes find the treasure again (though for some reason, they have different adventures this time around despite their memory being erased)! And now the ghost does allow them to take gold! Why? Who knows? Who cares?!
And no, it's definitely not surreal story-light game like many Cryo productions or even (judging from the review) Forever Worlds, it's just a, supposedly cohesive, thrilling Arabian/pirate adventure - messed up that badly.

In other words, yes, it is the worst game I've played.