You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 06:45 AM   #1
Squeaky

Default Psychonauts Query

Not sure whether this belong here or in general gaming. Ah well,...

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there are supposed to be prerendered cutscenes in Waterloo World. I've completed the game (with 100% collectibles) and I didn't see a single movie in Waterloo World despite there being one or more in every other area of the game (note the below screenshot where there's no 'camera' icon next to Fred Bonaparte's name, indicating that there are no cutscenes to view).

I didn't think anything of this until I stumbled across a website today sporting the following screenshot, which looks like it's been taken from a prerendered cutscene:

Whether it's prerendered or not, I definitely didn't see this 'cow' bit when I played the game. Anyone had any experiences relating to this?

I'm playing the PC version (and yes, it's a genuine copy ).
Old 09-27-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I don't think that there were any prerendered cutscenes. All the piece movement was in-engine, so I can't think of anything else left.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

That screenshot is from an earlier development phase, I think.
Moos would know the best and right answer for this.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

The cow bit is from the earlier build of the game, however, it still sortof made it through. If you enter Fred's mind after you have completed it, you will see giant cow-shaped game pieces.

And no, there are no pre-rendered cutscenes in that mind. Not that there need to be.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 PM   #5

There's no movie in Fred's level (or Milla's either, if I recall correctly). And you'll find all sorts of neat stuff looking at those early screenshots.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
Squeaky

I thought it was cool that the cows were just there when I went back into Fred's mind later in the game (and I loved what Raz says to them ). The screenshot just made me think I might've missed out on a more explicit explanation for their existence. Many thanks for clarifying, everyone.

And you're right about the lack of Milla movies, Udvarnoky. I missed that one. Also, is there a good spot to find these early screenshots you speak of?

Man, I only finished this game a few days ago and I'm already craving a replay. Desperately need to go back to Black Velvetopia.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

You can see a lot of it just looking through screenshot galleries. Lots of unfamiliar scenes and locations appear. like... http://mixnmojo.com/galleries/galler...ge=176&goback= wha?

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 09-28-2005, 08:19 AM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
Man, I only finished this game a few days ago and I'm already craving a replay. Desperately need to go back to Black Velvetopia.
I've given up at the Meat Circus. I'll go back to it at Christmas.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:20 AM   #9
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Ack! Me too. I can't get past the water part.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #10
Squeaky

The Meat Circus / Big Top definitely had some frustrating moments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Which bit is giving you grief? Trying to keep little Ole safe, or the water bit?

natalia, I stumbled across this thread recently, which might give you some hints if the
Spoiler:
curved lattice is the bit that's giving you a hard time. If instead you're having problems where you're running on the tightropes and dodging the flaming juggling things, I can only suggest that you use invisibility as much as possible (he doesn't throw stuff when he can't see you ).

And thanks for the link, Jake. Some really interesting stuff there.

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 09-29-2005 at 05:23 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 09-29-2005, 05:02 AM   #11
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Which bit is giving you grief? Trying to keep little Ole safe, or the water bit?
Trying to keep Ole safe. I keep dying at the fourth part of this (please tell me that there aren't many more steps), because the camera moves to a really stupid angle when you
Spoiler:
are swinging on the knife on the revolving board.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:22 AM   #12
Squeaky

Spoiler:
There are two steps with those rotating boards, but they're the last steps before you reach the top, so you're nearly there.
A couple more awkward moments await you in the next part of the level but the checkpoint mechanics make it less frustrating than the bit where you are at the moment.

By the way, I apologise for the lack of spoiler tags on my response to natalia. Probably a bit late now but I've stuck them in anyway .
Old 09-29-2005, 06:08 AM   #13
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
The Meat Circus / Big Top definitely had some frustrating moments.

natalia, I stumbled across this thread recently, which might give you some hints if the
Spoiler:
curved lattice is the bit that's giving you a hard time. If instead you're having problems where you're running on the tightropes and dodging the flaming juggling things, I can only suggest that you use invisibility as much as possible (he doesn't throw stuff when he can't see you ).

And thanks for the link, Jake. Some really interesting stuff there.
Thanks for the thread link, simpson! That's exactly the part (the water bit) that I'm having trouble with. I'll try that last trick mentioned.