You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming AG Underground - Freeware Adventures RMI project (inspired by Monkey Island)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
MI-TLY

Send a message via MSN to storyteller
Default RMI project (inspired by Monkey Island)

Hi there.

I'm here to see if I can recruit anyone for a freeware amateur AGS game...

We started out as a Monkey Island fangame, but decided to go the 'light' parody way. (well, sort of... you'll see when we release something)

You can find some concept art here. (The first one with the shipwreck is a finished background)

example screenshot: (note: all that is in this image is not the final version yet, it will be refined, + Guybrush will look a tad different in the game (related to size + boots) )

Note: Our game will feature entirely original artwork. (we're working hard on that), and that's were you come in, as we still need some help in that area (in order to finish quicker)

We're still looking for:

- background artists (to help out our lead artist)
- someone to draw new characters and sprite animations

If you think you have what it takes and want to help us out, mail me at [email protected] with a sample (doesn't have to be much) of your work.

Oh, and by the way, this game will be composed out of 7 parts. (it will be a full-lenght game)

Last edited by storyteller; 11-11-2005 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:24 AM   #2
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan
Default Rmi

Hello all, I am one of the developers of the RMI project. This is a non-profit, volunteer fan project. This game is being made to high standards, perhaps with as good or better graphics than CMI. Check this link:

http://rmi.forumup.org/viewforum.php?f=2&mforum=rmi

And this:

http://users.fulladsl.be/spb1497/

This is a game by fans for fans, so if you want to help, we'd like to have you aboard. The game is coming along quite nicely, but the project has only a handful of volunteers to help. A good background artist is needed for the project. As I said, this is a just a few people trying to make a good game and have fun. If anyone would like to help with backgrounds, music, or voices, please let me know. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks, Giligan

Last edited by Giligan; 12-14-2005 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Giligan, welcome to the AG forum.

I have merged your thread with the other one posted by one of your team members earlier this year.

Good luck with the project.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:47 AM   #4
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

You know....the first guy says "Entirely original artwork" but it looks as if youve just ripped the characters out of CMI and altered them....infact the guybrush drawing on the front page still has some of the pink background(that you get from ripping out of Scumm Revisited) around it....

The sunken ship art looks really good though
Old 12-14-2005, 06:53 AM   #5
The Greater

hhmmm, interesting. I'll have to mention that to storyteller. At any rate, the backgrounds are original, being most of the locations are new.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:18 AM   #6
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

I'd love to help, but my graphical abilities are rather limited and no where close to what you're looking.

I wish you the best of luck though.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:58 AM   #7
The Greater

you don't have to be a great artist to be a member of the team, of course. if you are not good at art, then you can join and just share your ideas for story line, puzzles, or whatever. this is a game by fans for fans, and if you are a fan, then it dosn't really matter what you're good at. just join!

Last edited by Giligan; 12-14-2005 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan
you don't have to be a great artist to be a member of the team, of course. if you are not good at art, then you can join and just share your ideas for story line, puzzles, or whatever. this is a game by fans for fans, and if you are a fan, then it dosn't really matter what you're good at. just join!
Sounds interesting, how do we go about joining and what kind of people are you looking for at the moment?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #9
The Greater

as I said, we are looking for anyone with an imagination to help with ideas about story/puzzles, perhaps if you come up with an idea for ship/character/locale/etc. you can use your basic paint program and create concept art to send in to Storyteller, he will post it for you. If you are good at backgrounds, thats great too. to join, simply go to the RMI forum at the above link, register(free), go to recruitment, post that you would like to join the team, and I will notify storyteller that you want to help. he will give you access to the developer forum. (when he gets some extra time)

Last edited by Giligan; 12-14-2005 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:23 AM   #10
MI-TLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
You know....the first guy says "Entirely original artwork" but it looks as if youve just ripped the characters out of CMI and altered them....infact the guybrush drawing on the front page still has some of the pink background(that you get from ripping out of Scumm Revisited) around it....
You can get character images out of ScummRevisited? *GASP* And here I am doing a ton of work! (well, ok, my sis did the first frame, I'm no hero with these advanced paint programs yet, but I'm working on all the other frames)

I suggest you put an image of CMI Guybrush right next to our Guybrush.

EDIT: here you go. (ScummRevisited didn't work, I had to use AKOS viewer to acquire the CMI Guybrush, our resolution is 640x480, btw., CMI was 800x600)

The face is similar to that in CMI, but if you compare, you'd notice differences to his hair (not only the beard), no more earring, his chest, and of course his clothes, which take up most of the image.

The reason that our GB is modeled after CMI Guybrush somewhat, is to prevent upsetting the fans and have a character they can relate to. If I made him look any different (which can be done, btw., if you all think his face should look different.), a lot of fans would be upset I think. (I've read the comments the Mefamorfo Team got on their Guybrush)

We actually had a discussion about his look. (see http://rmi.forumup.org/about24-rmi.html)

All other characters will be drawn from scratch. (by someone other then me, I hope, 'cause I'm only good at drawing moderate concept art)

as for the the pink line, that's because of AGS, and the fact I used an animation frame. (such as above image)

transparancy in a PNG file isn't ported to AGS directly, instead you have to give the thing an entire background in a single color (I just so happen to use pink)

all pixels surrounding the character need to be of the same color, as those pixels will be removed in-game.

subtle differences in the purple aren't always spotted, hence the purple edges that appear, I usually spend hours on fixing those edges. (but I miss some once in a while, obviously)

I suggest you mess around with AGS long enough, you'll figure this out.

I'll go fix that image, though. EDIT: Fixed it.

Quote:
The sunken ship art looks really good though
yup, it was made by our former lead artist (who quit some time ago, reasons stated on our forum)

hence the need to recruit some other folks to help in that field.

of course, other input (story/puzzles/...) is also appreciated, the more fans that help out, the better the game I'd say!

Last edited by storyteller; 12-14-2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:37 AM   #11
The Greater

anyone who is good at, say, pencil art, is needed. good pencil art can be used to create excellent backgrounds.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:30 AM   #12
woof

how good pencil art
Old 12-16-2005, 11:24 AM   #13
The Greater

fairly good, I suppose. as long as a person has a good understanding of perspectives, and knows how to draw in the classic monkey island style.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
MI-TLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan
fairly good, I suppose. as long as a person has a good understanding of perspectives, and knows how to draw in the classic monkey island style.
classic monkey island style: everything built crooked somehow...

for concept art, all is relative, as other artists will refine it into proper art

for pencil art that we can use directly... you can always try. (and if people keep telling you you're good, you must be doing SOMETHING right. If not, it goes in the concept art section to inspire other folks.)

newsflash: I (finally) decided to release some of the plans of this project to the public, see this thread
Old 12-16-2005, 02:31 PM   #15
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Was this the project that wanted to make this game in powerpoint? Just curious.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #16
woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller
classic monkey island style: everything built crooked somehow...

for concept art, all is relative, as other artists will refine it into proper art

for pencil art that we can use directly... you can always try. (and if people keep telling you you're good, you must be doing SOMETHING right. If not, it goes in the concept art section to inspire other folks.)

newsflash: I (finally) decided to release some of the plans of this project to the public, see this thread
So its gonna be a game about making a game? Like how 'Get Shorty', 'Bowfinger' and 'King Kong' are films about making a film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire
Wasnt it some guy called 'Monkeydang' who made that? I think he was sort of a legend somwehre since no-one could tell if he was out of his mind or jsut faking it, I cant remember what forums that whole thing was from though...
Old 12-17-2005, 02:54 AM   #17
MI-TLY

Quote:
it started out that way (months and months ago). 'twas Elaine Threepwood who made the very first post on the World Of Monkey Island forums. (see here if you like)

Elaine's computer broke down, so untill she gets a new one, she won't be posting much.

Quote:
So its gonna be a game about making a game? Like how 'Get Shorty', 'Bowfinger' and 'King Kong' are films about making a film?
nope, though there are some elements of that in the game. I've tried to write an explanation here, it's the second post.

Quote:
Wasnt it some guy called 'Monkeydang' who made that? I think he was sort of a legend somwehre since no-one could tell if he was out of his mind or jsut faking it, I cant remember what forums that whole thing was from though...
see above.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:57 AM   #18
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Will the game have voice acting? And, do you have any final ingame art to show us?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-17-2005, 09:18 AM   #19
MI-TLY

Quote:
Will the game have voice acting? And, do you have any final ingame art to show us?
yes, the game will have voice acting (not a priority at this moment, though, as tons of dialogue still need to be written)

as for the 'final ingame art' bit... I just updated the shipwreck on my site to 'final' version.

The small island is near-final version, and the only other background that is actually completely finished will be shown first in the demo. (bigger 'wow'-effect if you haven't seen everything in advance.)

Most other art is still in the 'concept phase'... hence the reason why we need help mostly in that area.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #20
MI-TLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie
still need voice actors?
yup, but we're still focussing on the other stuff (graphics, animations, puzzles, ...) right now. (and any extra help in the grapics area would really speed up the development)

it may take quite some time, as we plan to wait with voice acting 'till we're in full alpha stage. (meaning when the game's finished and ready to go into beta testing stage)

you can however send us a sample of your voice, and we'll contact you once we'll start implementing voices.

the sample should:

- include your own 'normal' voice, as well as whatever character you'd like to do.
- be under 2Mb, preferably be in a compressed format like .ogg or .mp3

just mail it to me.