You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Show Yer Unclasifiable Creative Ventures! THREAD THE ONLY!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester
Default Show Yer Unclasifiable Creative Ventures! THREAD THE ONLY!

I am taking this weird New Media studio class for which anything goes. The weirder your medium the better. Yeah, that's it: The True Face of Illegal Immigration in the US according to me in YTMND.

Seeing how I live in San Antonio, the Chicano capital of the universe, the theme of illegal immigration is something that I see in local art here a lot. Most of the time this sort of art is dealt with great gravitas and reverence in its means, but the message is always flat and stupid. In come me. I hope they burn me in effigy. I have to figure out a way to show this in a gallery too.

So! Comments? Your own examples of conceptual bullshit not easily classifiable as "art" or "poetry"?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Lovable rogue

I think it's clever.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I think that your juxtaposition of the libertarian ideas of America against the less successful realties of other nations creates a stark and visible contrast; it's a profound statement of nationalism that also speaks of the true freedom and liberty of your home nation. The stretch of water between these two area, meanwhile, is short, offering a tantalising glimpse of the possibilities to the less fortunate, while forming a cruel impasse that can so easily be equated to our struggle as individuals both to define ourselves and to achieve personal goals.

The endless stream of lemmings plummeting to their deaths as they reach this beautiful land, however, raises important moral and spiritual questions. We instinctively assume that all the lemmings are going to die, but we don't actually know this - it requires an act of faith, and is a unique take on the immediate dismissal of many minorities by large sectors of the American populace. It also raises the far more potent moral question of whether Americans, as caring individuals, can act to improve the situation. The image asks us to consider the use of explosives; would nuking the lemmings - and thereby returning the world to its original state - be a better approach than simply sitting back and watching this ceaseless carnage? This question is further emphasised by the use of "My Way" as the soundtrack (in a foreign language to highlight the important question of different nationalities, colours, creeds and religions in the melting pot that is the USA), which seeks to ask us what our way would be.

True art.

Or something.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Or something.
YES!
Spoiler:
Or something.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Cool.

And now mine.

Um...

The juxtaposition of Peter Falk (also known as Inspector Columbo, and the Grandfather and Narrator from "The Princess Bride") masquerading as Robert Black, with the real loveable tough-guy Robert Black, also known as the "Anti-Falk".

Medium? Ballpoint pen on my copy of the Carmina Burana (by Carl Orff).

Yes, doodles are nice.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The "scratchy" style highlights eloquently the lack of clarity in our perceptions as individuals - none of us are perfect, and we both fail to see the world as clearly as we would like and have our own flaws.

The simpler drawing of Falk in comparison to Black, meanwhile, conveys the lovable character of Columbo with which the former is most associated. Of course, we know that Columbo will always get his man, and so this simplicity is something of a deception, but a necessary and familiar one. The angle of his face, meanwhile, allows us as viewer to question what it is that Falk is actually looking at. Does he see Black: the villain of the piece, looking the other way as he searches for somewhere to hide? Or does he, as we in life so often fail to do, see himself in his opposite, and thus gain a greater understanding both of himself and of those around him? A question that we should all ask of ourselves, one could argue.

True art.

Or something.

(And you should never write on music scores with ballpoint pen!)

Old 09-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
The "scratchy" style highlights eloquently the lack of clarity in our perceptions as individuals - none of us are perfect, and we both fail to see the world as clearly as we would like and have our own flaws.

The simpler drawing of Falk in comparison to Black, meanwhile, conveys the lovable character of Columbo with which the former is most associated. Of course, we know that Columbo will always get his man, and so this simplicity is something of a deception, but a necessary and familiar one. The angle of his face, meanwhile, allows us as viewer to question what it is that Falk is actually looking at. Does he see Black: the villain of the piece, looking the other way as he searches for somewhere to hide? Or does he, as we in life so often fail to do, see himself in his opposite, and thus gain a greater understanding both of himself and of those around him? A question that we should all ask of ourselves, one could argue.

True art.

Or something.

(And you should never write on music scores with ballpoint pen!)
Well, it's a music score on printer paper. And it's only the cover that is covered in those two sketches and some notes in Korean and German.

Oh, and I doubt Falk is really looking at anything right now, considering that he has an eyepatch over his right eye, and a prosthetic left eye.

But Columbo rules.

-

Old 09-13-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Actually, he has an eyepatch over his left eye. So if his left eye is prosthetic then he doesn't have a problem .

Old 09-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Actually, he has an eyepatch over his left eye. So if his left eye is prosthetic then he doesn't have a problem .

You know, I actually noticed my error while not on the page. I was outside my room while loading Morrorwind, remembering what I had written, and realising that I had mixed up the sides. But it was too much bother to shut down Morrowind again to change it.

So now the correct sentence: He doesn't see much since he has an eyepatch over his left eye, and has a prosthetic right eye.

-

Old 09-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #10
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Gah. Foiled.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

...I'm scared to post here. RLacey's responses are creepy.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #12
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

I'm merely seeking to prove that modern art critics talk rubbish, and that anyone can make up a load of pretentious nonsense .

Old 09-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #13
Bad command or file name

^ which is true art in itself.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #14
Funky Member

My medium of choice is the General MIDI Sequence.

Also, speaking of pretentious nonsense: Last year, I participated in one of my art student friend's performance projects. It involved setting up a drum kit, two guitars, a synthesizer, a laptop, and a microphone. My art student friend would sing/scream the lyrics to random songs while myself and others made random noise on the aforementioned instruments. We only lasted about 45 minutes before we were shutdown by THE MAN. The really funnypart of this story came a week later while I was waiting to take a piano exam. One of the composition teachers on campus approached me and said he really liked the stuff we were doing a week ago. He thought it sounded good. Modern western art music can be one of the most pretentious things ever!
Attached Files
File Type: zip music.zip (4.0 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by portabello; 09-13-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #15
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
I'm merely seeking to prove that modern art critics talk rubbish, and that anyone can make up a load of pretentious nonsense .
You're wrong, but I am tired of explaining why this is a wrong view to hold. All knowledge of contemporary art you probably have comes from second or third hand impression digested for optimum ridiculousness, a sort of Seinfeld-like, What is up with contemporary art? shit of no consequence. You ridicule it out of convention.

It is true there are pretentious twats with nothing to say out there, but there is plenty of people with actual relevant thoughts. It is just like any other field.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #16
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I'm forced to agree with our flickering friend on this matter. Any bonehead could paint a bunch of geometric shapes or whatnot, and then find some reason of why it's artistic, like, "this circle represents the plight of man" or "this big blank space here represents a way of thought, not my lack of artistic talent" or some nonesense.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Well, and just to even the playing field, I'll point out that I agree with Kingzjester, if this is going to digress into a taking sides.

But seriously, I don't see why anyone has to generalise. That being said, I didn't get the impression RLacey was doing so.

@Giligan: RLacey is satiring art critics. Not artists, as you seem to be doing. But maybe I'm misunderstanding something, here, so please set me right in case I'm past the mark...

As someone who's never tried to interpret things herself (except if it came naturally - and sometimes, as a painful smack in the face, but that's another story), I consider art as what pleases the eye - so if those 'bonehead drawn geometric shapes' appeal to me, it's art to me. Period. Reading what reads like an implication that it cannot possibly be art to any sane person irks me greatly. But then, I was irked from the point this turned into a debate. So I'm biased as to the tone of this conversation, and amn't sure if I have it (the tone) spot-on or not.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-14-2006, 03:31 AM   #18
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Yes, my complaint is with art critics rather than artists. While I can think of obvious examples of supposed art that I think are rubbish - The Bricks in the Tate Modern springs immediately to mind - modern art does actually have a lot to say. My problem is the art critics that read immense amounts of stuff into absolutely anything (talking about the emotion and power of the construction of the aforementioned bricks, for instance). There comes a point at which the art critics seem to think that they're more important than the artwork itself.

And Kingz, I'm sure that you're right. Just as there are critics in every field that have valuable insights to offer, and critics in every field that are overly pretentious (in the field of video games I genuinely believe that Kieron Gillen falls into the latter category, but I seem to be alone in that view, and I digress). Unfortunately, those that have valuable things to say are rarely the ones that judge the Turner prize, and are rarely the ones that actually present this artwork to the layman. Either that or I've just been incredibly unlucky with what I've seen.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:36 AM   #19
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Just for RLacey's amusement:

Blobbishness is dead.

Edit: (I'm curious to see how he might review it.)
Old 09-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #20
Tactlessly understated

Quote:
Blah blah blah Kieron Gillen blah blah!
C'mon, man! Kieron Gillen is the dog's bollocks! I think he has moments of miss, but he is more hit than.